Register for the 3rd Annual Polar Bear Plunge!
What is the Polar Bear Plunge?
This is an event held during the winter when participants enter a body of water (despite the low temperature) in an effort to raise awareness and funds for a charitable cause or organization.
Who organizes the Polar Bear Plunge?
This event is hosted each year by the Albany VFW Post 9893, along with the WSEO 107.7 radio station.
What is the charitable cause or organization?
The proceeds from the event this year will go to the students of Beacon School (a part of the Athens County Board of Developmental Disabilities) and the Pregnancy Resource Center.
How does it work?
Participants pledge their sponsoring amount, and then show up on the day of the event ready to take their official plunge. NOTE: Online registrations for the event have closed. However, you may still opt to donate to the cause.
What precautions will be in place in response to COVID-19?
With the Athens City-County Health Department’s approval, organizers will be assigning each individual/team a specific time for their plunge. Every registrant must provide a telephone number so that arrangements can be made ahead of time.
Tips to make your plunge more fun:
• Wear loose-fitting clothes that are easy to remove – your fingers may be numb after exiting the water.
• You will be exiting the water quickly, so do not wear anything that will be heavy when wet.
• Bring a robe, blanket, towel or jacket to wear while you are waiting to plunge.
• You must wear shoes – the ground will be freezing.
• Bring extra towels to dry off.
• Bring loose fitting clothes to change into after the plunge.
• Plunge with friends – it is more fun, especially if you create a crazy costume.
• Remember to smile – photographers will be taking your picture.
Advanced In-Person Registration At:
• WSEO 107.7 radio station
• Larry’s Dawg House
• Steak ‘n Shake
The registration deadline to be guaranteed a T-shirt is Feb. 4. Downloadable registration forms can be found here.
Have questions? Contact Brian Johnson at (740) 856-9404.
Checks can be made out to VFW POST 9893.
Would you like to sponsor this event? If so, visit our Polar Bear Plunge Sponsor page.