Beacon School has an opening for an Intervention Specialist, starting in August 2021.
Beacon School is a special educational service provider for five local school districts in Athens County. School age programming is tailored to meet the needs of students age 5-21 with focus in the areas of functional academics, prevocational instruction, socialization, daily living skills, adaptive physical education, fine/gross motor skills, and recreation/leisure. We seek instructors who are dedicated to enhancing the lives of children with exceptional needs and have a passion for serving a population diverse in social, educational and economic backgrounds and levels.
Wage: Competitive starting rate
Benefits: Comprehensive health and life insurance and participation in State Teachers Retirement System (STRS).
Schedule: Academic year 182 days; M-F 35 hrs/wk
• Ohio Department of Education Licensure, Intervention Specialist- K-12.
• Knowledge of multiple disabilities, child development, community-based resources, educational and adaptive equipment and devices.
• Computer proficiency with ability/skill in instructional technology tools.
• Possess good observational skills coupled with the ability to define problems, collect and analyze data and patterns, and draw valid conclusions.
• Leadership and collaborative supervisory skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse mix of professionals, students, parents and other constituents.
• Lift, move and carry minimum of 30 pounds.
• Valid Ohio driver’s license.
• Manage the development and implementation of a comprehensive academic and life skills-based Individualized Educational Program (IEP) for each student. Prepare and deliver educational curriculum as well as social and recreational experiences in accordance with student IEP’s. Provide direction, training and leadership to assigned classroom instructor assistants and educational aides.
• Conduct weekly student evaluations; maintain documentation, reports and records. Prepare progress reports detailing student IEP progress.
• Communicate with parents/families weekly; respond to concerns; participate in conferences, open house, school-wide events, staff meetings and in-service trainings; participate in assessments of programs and services and ensure Unusual Incident Reports are completed according to agency requirements.
• Promote the inclusion of all students into their home schools and community; make home visits as needed or requested by families at times convenient for the families.
• Assume other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or administration.
Posting Dates: July 14, 2021 – August 2, 2021 or until filled.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and list of at least three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete an application at Beacon School, 801 W Union St, Athens, OH 45701. Internal applications will be given priority in screening and selection.
Working conditions may exist that do not normally exist in the occupation of a public employee. These conditions may include: exposure to blood borne pathogens, communicable diseases, potential infectious materials, hazardous chemicals and/or aggressive behaviors.
ACBDD is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.