Adapted Physical Education Instructor, PreK-12
Beacon School is a special educational service provider for five local school districts in Athens County. School age and preschool programming is tailored to meet the needs of students age 3-21 with focus in the areas of functional academics, prevocational instruction, socialization, daily living skills, adaptive physical education, fine/gross motor skills, and recreation/leisure. We seek instructors who are dedicated to enhancing the lives of children with exceptional needs and have a passion for serving a population diverse in social, educational and economic backgrounds and levels.
– Ohio Department of Education Licensure K-12 with Adapted Physical Ed endorsement.
– Lifeguard certification or willingness to obtain certification.
– Knowledge of physical education & health; child development; characteristics & needs of children with DD; operation and maintenance of equipment and teaching methods for children with DD.
– Possess good observational skills coupled with the ability to define problems, collect and analyze data and patterns, and draw valid conclusions.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse mix of professionals, students, parents and other constituents.
– Lift, move and carry minimum of 30 pounds.
– Valid driver’s license.
– Participates as an active member of the interdisciplinary team, with primary responsibility for the development and implementation of activity based on IEP for each student. Promotes the inclusion of all children into their home schools and community. Assesses developmental levels of students, plans and implements physical education, athletics, swimming, recreation/leisure and other adaptive physical fitness activities.
– Maintains an environment that is conducive to learning and is free of health and safety hazards. Keeps daily lesson plans prepared well in advance. Provides direction, guidance and training to assigned assistants and volunteers.
– Conducts student evaluations using formal and informal assessments. Prepares written reports detailing student progress every 90 days or more frequently as needed. Reports shared with parents, local school districts and other staff. Prepares and maintains documentation, required reports and records.
– Attends and participates in conferences, staff meetings and various in-service trainings. May participate in regular assessments of existing programs and services. Proactively communicates with parents and families and responds to student concerns and issues as needed.
– Performs other related duties as assigned; represents and participates in professional organizations.
Posting Dates: July 18, 2018 – until filled.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and list of at least three professional references to email@example.com or complete an application at Beacon School, 801 W Union St, Athens, OH 45701. Internal applications will be given priority in screening and selection.
ACBDD is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce.
Working conditions may exist that do not normally exist in the occupation of a public employee. These conditions may include: exposure to blood borne pathogens, communicable diseases, potential infectious materials, hazardous chemicals and/or aggressive behaviors.